Thursday, April 08, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Kobi....

With great sadness Matt & I said goodbye to our beloved dog of 16 years...
He was such a big part of our family and I will miss him terribly. Kobi lived 100% up until the night before we took him to the vet. He was struggling to walk and I knew his arthritis was getting bad. Even so, he attempted to follow me where ever I went and he would not let me out of his sight. This morning he could not walk--even though he tried.

Kobi did not cry or whine. He just kept looking up at me with his big Kobi eyes and I knew that I might have to make a decision I wasn't ready to make. The vet confirmed my suspicions that he had neurological problems and his back legs had become paralyzed. He also said that it was unlikely he could ever regain the strength. He was a 90 year old man.

It's true what they say, that it never gets any easier. I think it was especially hard to say goodbye to Kobi. He was my first dog of my adult life and for 16 years he guarded our house, left "pee" mail on his daily walks, befriended all the neighbors (Tom & Jan--his 2nd parents--who were there to say goodbye as well. Bless their hearts, they rushed to the vet to say goodbye. Tom even did an illegal left turn in front of a cop... ), shared his dog bed with the cats, awaited Thursday "steak night" like a puppy—running back and forth from the garage to his dog dish when Matt pulled into the garage, and he provided an infinite amount of unconditional love. He was a beautiful dog. Matt and I used to joke that he was the "Brad Pitt" of the dog "hood". He was truly a really GREAT dog. I loved him dearly and I will continue to love him in memory. R.I.P. Kobi Dog.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today one of the great ones left us. I am so sad to hear about Kobi. You know E how much I loved that dog. He brought so many people joy, and was always such a lovable big guy. I wish you peace and comfort during this most difficult time. Hugs.
Mary

D Scribe said...

E & Matt,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. We are hugging "our pack" a little tighter tonight thinking of Kobi and his beautiful soul.
God Bless,
Dara

HeatherH said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kobi! Such a sweetie. Your post brought tears to my eyes as Nina is starting to fail as well at 15 and I don't think she will see 16. Amazing that Kobi was 16, that is a great run. We miss you guys!

Syndie said...

I am so sorry to hear about Kobi! I am glad that you & Matt can remember so many wonderful times with him. I am nearing that time also with my oldest cat Lou, he's over 15 years now & still gets around fine, but this blog brought tears to my eyes because I just know that it will break my heart when his time comes as well. God bless! Syndie

Unknown said...

My second favorite dog in the world is gone?! That is some really sad news, I'm sorry for your loss E and Matt (Cricket), he was such a great doggie. Kobi did have the BEST life ever though, and spread much joy to us stupid humans.
Kobi, if you can hear me, I'm sorry for all those times I called you "Corbin" just because your great grandma did...if you see her, tell her I'm still a brat, but miss her. Thanks buddy, rest in peace, we'll all miss you. Your cousin Nina won't be long:(
-Love Todd

Anonymous said...

I never got to meet Kobi but he looks like he had a beautiful life. My 3 big dogs would be jealous. So sorry for your loss. Love, Heather Hall

Unknown said...

It is tough. I finally just looked at all of these these pics days after Kobi left. And I got all teared up. Expected to hear him bark when Logan & I came to the door this past weekend. Going to miss Kobi too. He was such a beautiful dog right to the end. It seems we've both been fortunate to have dogs that live a long life. Must have been the attention, frequent walks, good food and the air-conditioned comfort. RIPP (rest in pet peace) - Dee Dee, Fred, Harley, King, Kobi, Pepper, Shoo-shoo, Siamese Smokey, Sandie & Sadie, Zack & Zoie and all of our other faithful pets.