Sunday, April 11, 2010

Meet Miss Daisy...

After saying goodbye to Kobi there was a huge silent void in our house. I'd start tearing up as soon as I saw my neighbors walking by with their dogs or crying when I walked by a bush Kobi liked to leave pee-mail on. I just felt lost without our dog in the house. I really miss Kobi. He was one-of-a-kind. On Saturday I accepted that I would always miss Kobi and that we had given him the longest, best possible life we could. Another dog deserved the same... For the last few years I toyed with getting a Cairn Terrier but I didn't really want to go through a breeder and I wanted to help a dog that otherwise might not have a chance. Plus, I decided I wanted another "one-of-a-kind" dog.

I found Daisy (formerly Chloe). First off, I want to mention that I changed Chloe's name to Daisy because I have a friend who has a dog named Chloe and several other friends with little girls named Chloe. So I kind of felt funny about keeping her name Chloe. She had Daisies on her collar and I thought that fit her perfect. She seems to respond to Daisy just as she did Chloe so I think it all works out.

I found Daisy after surfing the web and ending up at 4 Peaks Animal Rescue site. I was about to end my search and put off a new family dog for a couple of months when I saw Daisy's (know as Chloe) photo. I knew this was the dog to bring back doggy life in the Diethelm household. I contacted 4 Peaks and learned she was not adopted yet. Today her very nice foster Mom, Deb, brought her to my house and she proceeded to fit right in. The cats have all sniffed her over even though they have that "WHAT IS THAT??" look on their face. Nobody's hissing and they're all keeping a respectful distance until they decide to get closer. I can tell Daisy's on her way to eventually having cat buddies. She doesn't bother them at all and they seem to keep inching closer to her.

Daisy is 5 months old and all puppy. She was on the euthanasia line but was saved by 4 Peaks. Personally, I can't even imagine how a cute little puppy could be up for euthanasia but I do know that I'm very glad she was saved and I was lucky enough to adopt her. She is so cute. She plays hard and she sleeps even harder (she snores a little). Her first quasi day here has been really good. She follows me every where just like Kobi did. She's quiet and her tail never stops wagging. She's already gone for a neighborhood walk with her new next door neighbor buddy, Teddy (Pomeranian) and she's learning that the backyard is where she is suppose to go to the bathroom. She loves her Nutro puppy food I bought her and she is constantly slurping down cold water from the big water dish. She is such a happy-go-lucky little girl. I'm really looking forward to taking her to dog obedience, hiking with her and taking lots of neighborhood walks.

So... with a new puppy, I was quite distracted and my eyes stayed drier longer. I think Daisy helped cheer up my neighbors Tom & Jan too. They miss Kobi too.

Here are a few photos of Daisy's first day. I'm sure there will be more to come.

My brother Alan and his grandson Logan stopped over. Logan played tug-of-war with Daisy. She really like him. She ran to the door to watch him leave. So I guess we add "good with kids" to her list of good traits.

Here she is laying by my desk while I'm doing computer tasks.

This is a bed I bought for Kobi that didn't work for him. However, Daisy really likes it. Especially with her blanket and all her toys on it.

She likes to lay on my feet. Right now she's sitting in my Herman Miller chair and is getting way too comfortable!

This photo is one Tom took when she first got to our house. She's just too cute!

3 comments:

eD said...

She is very cute. What do you think she is a mix of?

eD said...

Part?

http://bit.ly/aajLOl

:)

Daisy or "E" said...

Ed... too funny. You know they found her with a pack of stray dogs off a gravel road. You never know what those cows are up to!