Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lake Michigan

I camped for 4 nights in Northern Michigan (yes, I actually slept in a TENT) and was lucky enough to camp with my friend Audrey and her girls for the first night. Audrey's spouse Collin was in a softball tournament in Traverse City so I didn't see much of him as was in games all day.

We camped in the rustic park by my old summer stomping grounds in Interlochen, Michigan. I spent 3 summers working as a camp counselor for the music camp while in college. Some of my most memorable summers. It was strange, yet comforting, to go back and see that almost everything was the same. The Fireplace Inn where Wednesday polka nights took place to the same pizza place (Ciceros) that we ordered from on a regular basis. The campground was on Green Lake where I spent lots of time lifeguarding and no doubt getting skin damage.

We took a ride just outside of Traverse City and visited a light house and played around on some pretty Lake Michigan coastline.
My only regret is that I was too lazy to lug my camera on the mile walk to the beach where my parents were camping (Platte River Campground on the Sleeping Bear Dune shoreline) as the view was beautiful there as well. I did take some pictures with my Mom's camera so maybe if I can get her to e-mail them to me, I'll post at a later date.

Here's some pictures of the Smith girls.


Audrey, Kayla and Sierra getting ready to walk down to the shoreline.


Sierra showing her usual "cute-a-tude".


Kayla is going into high school next year and is on her way to being a track star. She's turned into quite a beautiful young lady.



Kayla and Sierra are NOT shy when it comes to getting their picture taken. I keep laughing at the "photo shoot" photos where I just let them strike poses while holding the shutter down. I love hanging out with Audrey and her girls. They are too fun and even though the girls think we're "old" they certainly make us feel younger.


Audrey and Sierra having a little fun on the rocks.

No comments: