Thursday, May 17, 2007

Freddie Spencer Riding School

Anyone that knows Matt (a.k.a. Cricket) knows how he's always loved motorcycles and we always have had one in the garage (I'm still amazed there's only one!). He Tivo's all the Moto GP races and I often get up in the morning to hear the sound of motorcycles racing around the track. One of his all time favorite racers is Freddie Spencer. For his birthday last December his brother, parents & I set him up for Freddie Spencer's Riding School in Las Vegas for 3 days. We just got home today and I've been sitting at my computer sorting through nearly 2000 photos that I took while standing at various corners on the Las Vegas Speedway track.

There were four instructors--all who have their own long list of racing accomplishments. I rode out to the track in the mornings with Cory who had all the coolers with water and snacks. He gave me the rundown of where I should not stand to take pictures etc. and frequently checked on me to make sure I had water--I suppose if I wasn't from Phoenix my standing out on pavement for so long would have been a factor. It was hot--but still not Phoenix HOT. Thanks for watching out for me Cory!

Matt probably should be writing this blog--however, I think he knows I know what he would say. He LOVED his 3 days on the track learning from these great instructors (Read more about Nick, Jeff & Dale by CLICKING HERE the only one missing on that page is Ken Hill.) I'm pretty sure he'll be going to the Sport Rider II class next summer. His classmates were all very nice and even though I'm not a motorcycle rider myself I saw big improvements on the track through the lens of my camera. As I ALWAYS enjoy taking pictures, I certainly didn't mind being a photographer for everyone in the class.

To all of of the riders, and instructors... I'll figure out how to get them all to you.

That being said, I'm going to put up a few pictures on my blog and work on some links to photo pages tomorrow. Check back over the next few days to see some cool track photos!


Freddie Spencer on the track demonstrating good cornering.


Quite frankly, Freddie was going so fast--I was lucky to get him in my lens view.


Here's Matt working on his own cornering.


A little on the track talk.


Student (Tom Hampton) and instructor Dale Kieffer following. The last day, the riders were looking so much better!