Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Resolve...

About my New Year's resolution...

Last year it was to walk to the grocery store and to places in general that were within walking distance. Last night, I finally figured out what this year's resolution would be while WALKING to the grocery store. You see I was walking to the store to get some needed ingredients for a new soup recipe I had. Then I thought "I should try more new recipes" and then I thought "Violé!". So I decided I need to try one new vegetarian recipe a week. In turn it will help me to be a better vegetarian and not rely on the usual trap I fall into when needing a quick meal--pasta or fish. Because I don't plan meals like I shoud I've been a pesco vegetarian. I'm not sure that's such a good thing as it becomes convenient to use fish as my primary protein source. This year-- I'm going to be a better planner and fix totally vegan meals and figure out which ones are keepers or that I can take to dinners where there's not much of a chance for a real vegetarian choice.

By the way, it was a fabulous soup from Vegetarian Times which was wicked easy and delicious. Loved that so much--I'm testing out another recipe tonight opposite the soup recipe page.

If you're up for a vege meal every now and then--let me know--I'm sure I'll be able to let you in on the ones I've tried that are "keepers".

Bon Apetite!

p.s. I get harassed by people almost on a daily basis because I am vegetarian and I still get stupid questions like "Do you eat Chicken?" That one still amazes me. I suppose I might deserve it as I break down and eat fish just to avoid the questions during dinner outings. Diet for a Small Plant is always a good read and it might surprise you how much our eating choices impact our planet. A bit dated now--but prophetic considering how much our planet has changed since the book was written in the 70's.
Certainly, I don't inflict my eating choices on others, but if I could get others to consider just going vegetarian for one night a week-- well... a little goes a long way.

4 comments:

judy said...

Hi E!
Happy New Year!
I'd love to hear about the vegatarian meals you are trying out. I am a "lazy" vegetarian too and find it difficult at times to get creative. My sons and husband are not following in my footsteps, so I usually end up preparing a meal for them and just leaving the meat out of it for myself....salads and pastas are the mainstay...boring!!!!
I'll share any good recipes that I come across if you'll do the same!

Daisy or "E" said...

You're on chicky! Good to hear from you. Certainly, I'll post a few. Maybe I'll do a post once a week... ok, who are we kidding--once a month with new recipe. Would be kinda fun.

I hear you with the "leave the meat out" part. Admittedly, even my spouse is becoming more "vegetized". He only does meat once or twice a week and it's usually when out to dinner with others.

We'll see you soon... get rowing!

Anonymous said...

We're not vegetarians - as you know if you've ever heard Ted on the subject of "MEAT" - but I really love the Sunday's at Moosewood cookbook. There are a few things in there that have become staples for me - my favorite is the Italian bread & tomato salad. (Wildflower bakery serves something like it, but mine (I mean, Moosewood's) is MUCH better.

Anonymous said...

Two recommendations:

Read The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan, if you haven't already. Good reading about where food comes from.

Buy The Healthy Cuisine of India, by Bharti Kirchner. Bengali food has a very long vegetarian tradition, so it's both well-balanced and delicious. Some of the recipes take a while and some advance planning to prepare, but many of them are pretty simple once you have assembled a good spice collection. There are a number of good places to get cheap spices in the Valley--especially Asian markets and a few Indian grocery stores. This is one of my absolute favorite cookbooks.

Have fun cooking--that's the most important part of all! I've found that if I spend a bit of time thinking about what I want to eat for the upcoming week, I'm much better about getting the ingredients together and actually cooking.

-Rebeccmeister