Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bathroom Remodel

It all started in July when my brother stopped over and I was thinking about ripping out the bathtub that I NEVER used. One thing led to another and by the end of the day the bathroom was gutted-- except for the sinks. My neighbor Tom came over to help with the destruction. It was easy tearing it out, but it's been a long process putting it back together. Probably a Weekend Warrior episode on HGTV except it's been many weekends.

We had a water leak in the shower and I think it's a good thing we ripped it out. The wood was rotting and water was leaking through to the drywall. It wasn't my intention to do the whole bathroom myself but after several outrageous estimates ($7-8,000 just for the shower), I decided to do it myself and contract out on skills that I couldn't master (plumbing and cement work for a shower floor). I've come along way and am quite proud of my tile work. Still stuff to do like put up my glass block shower wall, touch up painting, seal grout, put on shower fixture and put in new light fixtures. The light fixtures seem to be more of a problem as I'm putting in 2 separate ones that will go in a place other than where the old light fixture was. We have some outlets that aren't working so Matt gave me the go ahead (checkbook) to contract an electrician. Apparently, that's an in demand job as I've already had 2 no shows! Let's hope the 3rd works out.

It will be nice to take that first shower! I'm hoping to do that before the end of October at the latest.












2 comments:

dogmom2six said...

Hey E... love the tile work. Great colors!

eD said...

I know you didn't want a tub but a clawfooted tub would look awesome sitting there next to the windows.