Saturday, December 05, 2009

Ironman Edie, October & November

Again, I'm woefully behind on my personal blog. That has a lot to do with all my RC3 Running club activities. So first I want to say that if you want an October update, please see the RC3 blog about my pacing duties at the Javelina 100 (100 mile endurance run). In November I made a trip to Panama City, FL to "sherpa" my high school friend, Edie, in her second Ironman event. To preference the magnitude of physical and mental strength one needs for such an event, an Ironman triathlon is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike AND a 26.2 mile run. I've been lucky enough to reconnect with my friend Edie who I shared lots of high school time with on the basketball and volleyball court. I went out to Edie's house in July to just "hang" and we did a 9 mile training run. It kind of killed me then... but I think I'm better for it now.

Edie was always an all around athlete with a great deal of will and determination both in sports and academics. It was NO surprise to me that she would continue to be the awesome chick I've alway known her to be. Edie's spouse, Nathan, is in Iraq and when I learned she would be going to Ironman, Florida alone... I couldn't in good conscience let her do that. I know how important it is to have that point person to handle the minor details and provide support. I was happy to help her with that. A true friend pays it forward and I'm excited to say that Edie is going to pace me for the last 23 miles of my first ultra marathon in April (American River 50 mile endurance run). I can't ask for more. She knows from her Ironman experiences exactly what it takes to push through the mental and physical obstacles. She inspires me and thats the person you want to tell you to "Stop being a baby, suck it up and finish!"

That being said, I'd like to share a few Edie Ironman photos with you...

2.4 mile ocean swim. This is the only thing keeping me from doing an Ironman. Look how crazy it is! Can you imagine 2000+ people in the water with you?

The swim to bike transitions. They run through this stream of people and go through the "strippers" who peel off their wetsuits. Then they run to the bike transition.

Here is Edie on the 26.2 mile run. I sprinted in front of her to get her photo. I wanted to run with her, but apparently the Ironman rules penalize you as they feel you are "pacing" and that's considered outside help. So all I could do was be there to watch her run by on her out and backs and sprint in front of her snapping photos.

She finished with a PR! Look how great she looks after doing ALL THAT! Edie knocked off almost 3 hours off her previous Ironman time. How awesome is that??

Edie and I had a nice time sitting out on the condo deck area each night, chatting , sipping a glass of wine and enjoying some really nice sunsets. It was a thing of beauty until Hurricane Ida decided to venture into the gulf the day before we were to go home! We were lucky she turned into a tropical storm and had lost some "umph" so our flights could leave on time.

No comments: