Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's Next...


Just thought I would mention that I'm STILL running. I'm only 3 weeks away from the BIG ONE (marathon). Yikes! I get more and more nervous the closer it gets. This weekend is my last super long run before I start giving my body a little rest by cutting my mileage back. However, I don't want to totally slack off and so I'm doing a Thanksgiving/Birthday morning run. I'm signed up for the Anthem Turkey Trot 10K. My marathon training schedule says I should be doing 4-6 miles that day anyway. So I'll do 6.2 miles and practice running around people before my marathon. I have a few gals from boot camp that will be joining me and perhaps making me run a little quicker. It will be a nice way to spend my B-day morning AND not feel guilty about a big helping of mashed potatoes later.

One week after the Turkey Trot I'll be doing the Tucson Marathon. We start in Oracle (4000 ft altitude) and end up in Tucson (2000 ft). There's a lot of downhill and I've been told that it's a "fast" marathon. There will be lots of people trying for their Boston marathon qualifying time. Certainly, I will NOT be one of them. I've got a running buddy and we will be pushing each other to the finish. I suspect if we run like we have in training that we will have a respectable finish and one we will both either be proud of or want to improve on. I'll fill you all in when my epic day is over.

I could quit there but I figure I should just keep going and sign up for the PF Chang's Rock-N-Roll marathon 6 weeks later. I'll bypass the full marathon (that would be insane) and do a "short" run. (a.k.a the half marathon).

No stopping there... February 27-28, I'm signed up to run and co-captain on Adventure Boot Camp Dos' Ragnar Del Sol Relay . It's a team run from Wickenburg to Mesa, Arizona for a total of 187 miles. Luckily I only have to run 3 legs for a total of 15-18 miles. However, I will have to force my body to run 3 times within 24 hours and sometimes at an awkward time (middle of the night) without much sleep and there will be some evil hills to run up. We've got a good team and I think we are all competitive and will want to finish towards the top. Last year, there were 152 teams signed up so that will give you an idea of the competition.

In between all that, I will find a day or two during the week to re-bond with my scull. My boat has been neglected and I miss my quiet time on Tempe Town Lake. I think rowing will help my body actively recover after the marathon. It's going to be interesting to see how my boat handles sans the 20 lbs I no longer carry and I'll be bringing a renewed sense of confidence with me. There's always Desert Sprints (regatta) in March. Perhaps I'll "test the waters" again.

No comments: