Saturday, November 01, 2008

Trip to Burgundy



Last week Matt and I went with his parents and Aunt and Uncle to the Bourgogne a.k.a Burgundy area of France. We stayed at the same place that we were two years ago near Macon (the closest large town with a supermarket). I really love this area with vineyards all around, rolling hills and farm country. The wines from the Burgundy region are wonderful and inexpensive and sans the extra sulfites that get added to the imported wines. Needless to say, we enjoyed a bottle or two and sometimes three every evening. The fun is the "degustation" or tasting at a Caveau (cellar) or driving up to small vineyards where the family winemakers let you taste.

I also got to experience running down the narrow country roads as I needed to get in some marathon training runs. I was a bit worried as my only recourse would be to jump in a very deep ditch if a driver didn't see me. After the first day, I learned that the French drivers are WAY more courteous than American drivers. They actually would turn on their signal to let me know they were moving over to the next lane and in the early morning, when it was still a little dark, they would give me a quick flick of their lights to acknowledge that they see me. I felt very safe and managed to get in a couple of shorter runs and a long run. The driveway to the condo we stayed in was a run in itself. A half mile all uphill which I did several times for the a good "buns of steel" workout.


Friendly, fat and happy French Cows. We met them on a walk to a chapel being restored close to our condo.


Jonni and Roger having a taste at a wine Caveau in Beaujeu with several wines from the Beaujeu area.


Matt and a view looking down on the town of Cluny.


Brouilly wines are hard to come by in the United States. They are in my opinion the best of the French Reds. Mont Brouilly is close to Beaujeu and we drove up to this small vineyard. Our hostess (behind the bottles) was very nice and we really enjoyed this vineyard and their Brouilly.


Matt Sr. and Wanda trying to decide what Brouillys to buy. This wine shop had all Brouilly wines. If only we were so lucky to have this selection in the U.S.!

No comments: