Friday, July 11, 2008

Farm Life

Going back to the family farm for vacation is not all rest and relaxation. However, it can turn out to be a gratifying experience. Not only did I get fresh vegetables from my Mom's garden, I also got a nice farm work out by helping my Dad unload wagons of hay. My brother Alan was also home for the 4th of July holiday and he got to partake as well.

Here's how it works. My dad drives the tractor with the baler that shoots the bales into the back of the wagon. My brother walked along side picking up the bales that get over shot or under shot. Once the wagon was full, I threw the bales out of the wagon and my Dad picked them with his little bulldozer like tractor and took them into the barn where Alan stacked them. I have to say that my job was a bit "easier" than Alan's as I wasn't inside the dark enclosed barn. He also got to do a couple extra wagons while I was visiting friends.






You can see a bale being "shot" into the wagon in this photo.


The hay before it's cut and dried.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shooting the bales up that high in the air doesn't make them turn into kind of a "U" shape when they hit the wagon? That is quite a bit of force to chuck a bale that high.

My brother and I did this on my grandfather's farm but we had a long chute out the back of the baler and one person rode on the wagon and stacked the bales as they came out.

I can hear your dad calling you a city girl when you call the front end loader a "bulldozer like tractor". :)