Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Masters Sculling Camp

Last weekend I spent some time on Pacific Beach in my scull attending Patti Pinkerton's Master's rowing camp. Wish I had some photos but the camera got left at home as all the worry about what to pack-made me forget "what to PACK". Besides the camera, I think at least 4 or 5 more pairs of socks would have been helpful. Regardless, sculling alongside seals, sunny skis and along with the best coaching tips I've received thus far... I would say it's a "MUST" for any sculler that wants to improve one's skills.

I rode out with Julie Busskohl who car-topped my boat and rode home with the spouse who came out on Saturday to work by the beach. We had a nice time meeting up after my day of sculling instruction. Going out for a light dinner and walk along the beach. Matt & I had spent a month or so in a condo along Pacific Beach 3 years ago. It was kind of cool to scull by it and to just hang out in the area again.

As for Patti Pinkerton, I can say that I felt honored and lucky to get some coaching from her. She has a long list of accomplishments behind her and truly KNOWS how to relay her thoughts to get you to make changes for the better. Great coach and a lively personality. I'm going back next year for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patti's great. I think my ideal would be to go to her clinic every other year, and work with other coaches in between. We went a coupe years in a row and it was a bit too much of the same, though also part of the problem was that the weather the second year didn't allow as much time on the water.