Sunday, June 25, 2006

Rumble in the Jungle!

It was my first real race in my single and my first row in my single not on Tempe Town Lake. I think it turned out quite well. The weather was perfect and I had some good results. The first race I did was the Women's 1x Open. That means all age groups and the gal that won was 16 years old. However, she's been rowing for awhile and rowed in Sweden. I finished a distant 2nd to her. My traveling sculler, Julie B put in a good effort and we shared some somewhat scary moments while discovering that we were maybe a bit to far into the ocean on our way from the LMU dock to the UCLA boathouse. Needlesss to say we handled some much bigger waves and I don't think we'll complain about waves on Tempe Town Lake any longer! Below are some of the race pictures. For a few more pictures CLICK HERE.


Julie and I leaving the LMU dock to head to the race spot on Ballona Creek and the UCLA dock.

Rowing by the marina area to the race. On the way back I was accompanied by a seal swimming alongside me. That was really cool!

E races!


Towards the end of the masters race.

Here's Julie B. racing.

By the way, everyone knew I was from Arizona with the Arizona Outlaws garb on. I had nice conversations with lots of California rowers. My first interests in the sport came when Matt and I stayed at a condo on Pacific Beach. In the morning the rowers from ZLAC were out in the bay. I told Matt that I thought it was a really cool sport and wouldn't it be nice to live by water to row. After discovering Tempe Town Lake and the City of Tempe rowing program--it was kind of nice that the person that finished 1st in my 2nd place race result was a ZLAC rower.

No comments: